January 16, 2013

If I Could Write a Letter to Me.

Last year, exactly one month before my birthday, I wrote a letter to be read upon turning 23.  For me, birthdays are the real new beginnings. You are a year older, you choose how you are going to live the next year of your life, who is going to be in the next year of your life, and what you are going to do in that year. Instead of making New Years resolutions, I make birthday resolutions. Ironically, the letter I wrote to myself a month prior to May 25th went unread until 15 days after 2013 began. Once I read it, I decided that the thoughts in this letter should not merely be annual reminders (no matter when you remind yourself), but they should be daily reminders. Here goes.

April 25, 2012

Dear 23 year-old self,

You need this letter. You've spent the past year figuring yourself out.  It's been a tough year. You were thrown off track, but please remember success would not be possible without failure.  You've seen your form of failure, but with it you've learned valuable life lessons.

I hope you take the time this May 25th to reflect.  Take the time to remember that you're not a bitter person. In fact, you are a special person.  The world needs more people like you.  More people that enjoy doing for and giving to others; that are naive, yet wise; more that are conscientious and honest.

I hope this year you dig down deep and find your passion. Remember that you have a smile that warms souls.  Honesty is always the way to go.  You are a prize to be won, so only give into guys that put in effort.  You get out what you put in.  You only have one set of parents.  They love you and want the best for you.  You can't push everyone away, so stop putting up walls and let people in.  Remember that the boundaries that you set, fence you in.  Lastly, remember God.  He's your future. Find Him again.

Enjoy being 23 and don't ever give up on what you want.

Love,
That 22 year-old girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment