October 26, 2010

Speak Now.

So this is me swallowing my pride
standing in front of you saying
I'm sorry for that night.
t. swift

Oh Taylor Swift, so young and wise. I bought her new album Speak Now yesterday and her music miraculously turned my completely horrendous day into a completely hopeful one (: But after listening to her reasons behind writing these songs, I started thinking. She wrote this album to say the things that she meant to say in the moment, but instead let the moment pass by. I think we all wish to have those moments back. The ones where we meant to say "I'm sorry," but we couldn't swallow our pride to do it. The ones where we meant to say "I love you," but let the opportunity slip by. The ones where we meant to stand up for ourselves, our beliefs, or our friends, but instead sat in silence.

Now, we can't all write 14 songs in order to make up for our biggest regrets in life, but in most cases we still have time to rewrite these moments. So often instead of running the coulda, woulda, shouldas, over and over in my mind, I wish I would have just gathered the courage to say what I needed to say. Instead of letting the wounds fester, I should have addressed the problem. Instead of merely thinking about what I could do to make someone feel loved, I should have impelled these thoughts.

So tonight my thoughts centered around regrets. Few there are, but dear friends, my biggest regrets in life have not been the things I have said, but the things I did not say. So to all of you who didn't hear how much I love you and appreciate you when you needed to hear it the most and to all of you who knew I was wrong, but didn't get that validation from me - I genuinely apologize. And to Taylor Swift - your music has inspired me to say what I want to say when I need to say it. It's never too late to change.

1 comment:

  1. You have so perfectly put my thoughts into words. I agree and love the way you put it that regrets come not from what we do or say but from what we don't do or what we don't say.

    Another fan T.Swift,
    http://www.serendipituous.tk

    ReplyDelete